Recent Posts

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Back on the Bike: My Challenge

Photograph by S. Stone
That's me at last year's inaugural Mamma Jamma Ride.  It was an amazing experience, I must say.  And, not just the ride itself.  I pushed myself more than ever mentally and physically during the training, and I cultivated so many wonderful life-long friendships that ended up being real lifesavers for me.  But, I haven't been back on that bike since that day.  About two weeks after this photo was taken, I was diagnosed with breast cancer for a second time.  WTF, I thought. I was five years out from my original diagnosis, had a month left of my five years of Tamoxifen and I was in the best shape of my life -- I just rode 75 miles for cryin-out-loud!

Sure, part of the reason I haven't been on my bike is because I've endured a year of surgeries, chemotherapy, radiation, sudden cardiac arrest, etc, etc.  But, that's not really why I won't get back on my bike.  It's an emotional/mental block kind of thing.  I really can't explain it.  I just feel really nervous about it for some reason -- almost superstitious. Obviously, I need to GET OVER IT!  But, I'm not ready.  What I am ready to do, however, is share my process of getting back on that saddle in a new series on this blog called Back on the Bike.  This isn't just about getting back on my bike, it's more about letting go of my anger and frustration and accepting that where I am now is where I need to be.  I hope you'll join me for the ride.

7 comments:

ilovebabyquilts said...

Love you Sarah!

Just a friend said...

You're amazing...don't ever forget that...and you WILL get back on the bike :)

Martha said...

Can't wait to join you. I think you are an amazing young woman, and am fully confident that the day will come when you're BACK ON THE BIKE in a BIG way. Love you bunches.

Dee said...

Looking forward to this.. Love you to pieces

Evi said...

If anyone can do it, you can Sarah. I believe in you! Love and Big Hugs!

Caribou said...

Shelwick - you rock. Trying takes effort. Quitting is forever.

Mandy said...

I love your spirit! Your an inspiration and I look forward to your posts. You can do anything you set your mind and I will be cheering you on to get "back on the bike"!

Post a Comment