Recent Posts
Thursday, November 11, 2010
Back on the Bike: Muscle Memory
Posted by
Sarah
Chemo ended in July, and radiation ended in September. Active treatment was complete, and I had no excuse to not get out there and start working out again. It's been about a month since I slowly added exercise back into my routine. One activity that I missed dearly was yoga. I figured that going to a couple of gentle yoga classes would be a great way to ease back into things. Unfortunately, I found these gentle classes not so gentle. In fact, they were quite difficult. Physical limitations aside, what I found the most challenging happened in my head -- letting go of the "old" body that could bend into various poses and had the strength to hold these poses with ease. In one yoga class, stuck in a corner and washed with hot flash after hot flash, I found my self angry and agitated -- things that should never be the product of a yoga class. But, I WAS angry, frustrated and self conscious. I was angry that I couldn't get my shoulder to the ground in an easy twist. I was frustrated that my ICD made it difficult to move my left arm and shoulder in ways that I always had. And, I was terribly self conscious about my breast prosthetic moving around and revealing itself. Despite my these challenges, I continued going to class twice a week with an awareness of these feelings and a new mantra that goes something like this: "You're exactly where you need to be right now." I knew that I could get back to that place where my body felt strong and healthy because I had been there before. Finally in Tuesday's class, I could really tell that I was getting somewhere. We were in a common pose that I had found very challenging since returning the mat, but there was a moment where I felt like I was back in that strong and flexible body. I melted into the pose. It felt like my muscles suddenly remembered what to do. While this feeling was fleeting, it gave me exactly what I needed -- glimmer of hope that reminded me that I will have the strength to get back on my bike!

1 comments:
You're doing great! We're all here pulling for you. Love my Sarah.
Post a Comment