Recent Posts

Monday, November 15, 2010

That is Why I Love Team Survivor

We love our teammates!  Today, get inspired by Mary Starr's story about what Capital of Texas Team Survivor means to her. Thank you for sharing your story, Mary! 



I was diagnosed in 1997 with breast cancer, stage 3. If you know about the diagnosis you know what it means to me.



For most of my life I did lots sports until I had children, Aaron and Ian. I dedicated more time to them than my need to keep in shape. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer I had been sailing and racing Catalina 22 sail boat and had a great time, but... diagnosis came and I became a couch potato till a friend mentioned the Danskin Triathlon. What is that? So I signed for a walk at the 2000 race and realized I needed to get back in exercising but cost of living was not permitting me to join a group or health club and my excuse was that have had cancer.

After walking at the Danskin, I saw a 70 year old athlete passing me after she had gone swimming and biking -- that was my motivation to get back and learned how to swim. I was afraid of the water and my intention was never to do a triathlon, only to learn how to swim. Team Survivor was having a training session so I joined the classes.

After so many weeks of training and lots of encouragement from our coaches, I reluctantly signed up for the Danskin Triathlon.... with the condition to have a "swimming angel" that was our president of Team Survivor and she was pregnant with her first child and a miracle one after chemotherapy.  They (her and her unborn baby) were my angels forever. My goal that day was not to drown...  and when I was swimming all my energy was focused on if I survive chemo I can survive swimming... repeating this words stroke after stroke... after I don't know how many minutes that seemed like an eternity I was walking on solid ground again.... yes I did the bike and yes I walk the run route....

Team Survivor was my new HOPE. Team Survivor gave me my life back.  After 13 years of being a survivor and 9 triathlons, Oh yes,  46 mile ride in Mamma Jamma last year, I am alive! Whether it's the willing of living, the striving for life or exercising with Team Survivor, this group keeps me alive.  I hope I never have to quit Team Survivor. Team survivor is a Great Support Group of women that became part of my life, my friendship and my Heart.  That is why I love Team Survivor!

What are you waiting for?  Take some time to learn about the programs that Capital of Texas Team Survivor offers! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment