Check….check….is this thing on????
First things first, last time Sarah and I ran into each other we laughed like school girls at what bad bloggers we are. But if anyone will understand the saying, “Life got in the way” I think it would be a group of cancer survivors!
I am really going to try to do better at keeping up with the blog but I can’t make any promises!
Oh, a little bit of good news – a lot actually – I was able to make a clean break from the Lexapro and am really starting to feel like myself again. Now that I don’t have the Lexapro to blame my battle with the bulge on, I am really starting to count calories and actually losing weight.
I have read a lot of quinoa and what a powerhouse grain this is. The one time I made it, it was awful but I am determined to try it again and add it to my daily diet.
I found this website that I am ready to try a few recipes from.
Do you have any good quinoa recipes?

2 comments:
I made a delicious, gluten free Turkey meatloaf last week with Quinoa. It was delicious. Here is the link:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/turkey-and-quinoa-meatloaf/Detail.aspx
The changes I made are:
I did not have hot pepper sauce so I just used 2 additional tablespoons of worcestireshire sauce.
I drained one can of Progresso black beans, and smashed them with a fork, leaving about 10 - 15 % of them whole, then stirred them in.
I did the glaze as suggested, but a lot of it ran off. With 15 minutes to go in the baking, I added a thin coat of BBQ sauce to the top.
Here's one of my favorites. And the best thing is my three year old and one year old love it.
Quinoa and Black Beans
Ingredients
• 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
• 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
• 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• salt and pepper to taste
• 1 cup frozen corn kernels
• 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions
1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
3. Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro
Post a Comment